The Shoulder – Vancouver 2019
February 2 @ 8:00 am - February 3 @ 5:00 pm PST$695 – $895
The objective of this course is to provide the participant with the knowledge and skills necessary to optimally manage common conditions of the shoulder girdle in clinical practice through lecture, discussion, demonstration, and an emphasis on hands on application.
Course Objectives / Outline:
- The current literature pertaining to the anatomy, biomechanics, injury mechanisms, and pathologies of the shoulder girdle
- The rehab continuum - the fundamentals of rehabilitation and the application to the evaluation and management of the shoulder
- The developmental model - mobility, stability and movement pattern retraining from a developmental perspective
- Functional assessment of the shoulder girdle
- The role of orthopedic / provocative testing in the management of shoulder pathology, how to differentiate between treating functional and structural pathology, and how to formulate a management strategy for both
- Understand how to integrate manual therapy and rehab into clinical practice to improve patient outcomes and restore optimum function
Dr. Michael Maxwell has been a fitness, health, exercise rehabilitation and manual therapy nerd since 1998. As a personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, kinesiologist, and Chiropractor, he has sought out key mentors, courses, and conferences to accelerate the acquisition of knowledge and skills necessary to help his clients and patients.
Frustrated by the lack of practical knowledge and skills provided in his Exercise Science undergraduate degree, and inspired by the extra-curricular conferences and courses he had previously attended, Dr. Maxwell began facilitating workshops and seminars that featured practical, hands-on content, taught by industry leaders. This is what led to the formation of Somatic Senses Education. Since 2003, Dr. Maxwell has organized well over 250 continuing education courses throughout Canada featuring industry leaders such as Lorimer Moseley, Donald Murphy, Stuart McGill, Pavel Kolar and the outstanding Prague School Physio's, Dale Buchberger, Clare Frank, Robert Lardner, Mark Finch, Charlie Weingroff, and many more! His mission is simple: provide evidence-informed, practical and world-class continuing education featuring industry leading clinicians, educators, and researchers, with the ultimate goal of improving the standards of patient care!
Dr. Maxwell has served as an assistant instructor for many of the courses and instructors he has worked with and has presented in Canada and the United States on movement-based care, rehabilitation, and manual therapy. He is a Certified Instructor for Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization according to Pavel Kolar. Through his consistent and exceptional exposure to some of the worlds most recognized clinicians and educators, 20 years in the trenches helping clients and patients reach their goals, and his dedication to providing exceptional and comprehensive care in clinical practice, Dr. Maxwell is well positioned to provide outstanding continuing education. And more importantly, he is honoured to do so.
Dr. Maxwell currently works with a variety of patients including recreational and elite athletes, and the non-athlete looking for fast results combined with long-term strategies for improved function and pain resolution.
The concepts and principles of Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization form the foundation of Dr. Maxwell's approach to patient care, which includes a variety of treatment "tools", such as:
- Soft tissue therapies such as Active Release Technique, Functional Range Release, Myofascial Release, and Deep Tissue Massage
- Joint manipulation (CMT), graded mobilizations, MWM, etc
- Pain Neuroscience
- Exercise rehabilitation and movement-based care. Dr. Maxwell has an extensive background in strength and conditioning and medical exercise. He is NCCP Level 1 Weightlifting certified and spent 10 years in the trenches as a strength and conditioning coach, medical exercise specialist, and Kinesiologist before he became a Chiropractor in 2007.