Enhance your existing toolbox with an evidence-based framework for assessment and treatment.
The Eclectic Approach to TMD presents a modern manual therapy look at the evaluation and treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. There is a lack of knowledge in the screening and treatment of this condition which may be affecting many of your upper quarter patients, especially those with concurrent headaches and/or cervical dysfunction. The Eclectic Approach uses Movement Screen and a Repeated Motions Exam to help classify the patient and find relevant movement and motor control issues. A strong emphasis on modern Pain Science Education and home exercises is used to make the patient independent of passive care. Manual therapy uses The EDGE Tool for Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Manipulation or IASTM, as well as joint mobilization for the upper cervical spine and TMJ, function mobilization, and thrust manipulation of the cervical and upper thoracic regions.
- Movement Screen, Breathing Patterns, and Repeated Motions based evaluation
- Postural education and how it affects the mandible position
- An emphasis on patient education and self treatment
- IASTM with the EDGE Tool, soft tissue manipulation to the mandible elevators
- Joint mobilizations of the TMJ, cervical, and thoracic spines
- Thrust manipulation of the cervical and thoracic spine
- Home exercises, Repeated Motions based resets and progressions
Upon successful completion of this course the participant will:
- Describe the relevant cervicocraniomandibular anatomy
- Describe the effects of head/neck posture on mandible position
- Perform a UQ Movement Screen and Repeated Motions Exam to help classify the patient for movement strategies and manual therapy
- Educate the patient on self care and self assessment
- Perform a variety of soft tissue and joint mobilization/thrust manipulation to reset the patient?s nervous system