Kettlebell Science – Victoria 2019
Why take this course?
If you want to learn kettlebells as they apply in a wide variety of settings, rather than learning the dogmatic and narrow "right" (*cough*cough*) way to do it, then this course is for you. We teach just as many principles as we do techniques. We gives you the tools, but make sure you understand where they fit in the toolbox. After learning kettlebells from someone else, you would know how to use a kettlebell. After our course you'll also know how, but more importantly you'll know why and when to use kettlebells.
Why Kettlebell "Science"?
What is the opposite of science?
Year over year, the popularity of the kettlebell is growing faster than almost any other implement. Ten years ago, kettlebells only showed up in niche fitness facilities or select military training applications. Now, due to their adaptation by many of the best strength coaches and clinicians in the world, nearly every gym in the Western world, as well as most of the musculoskeletal rehab clinics, has kettlebells. And yet, many people still don’t understand the principles or scientific application of their usage. This is because the usage of kettlebells, although highly scientific in application, has grown a shadow of dogma.
This is why we needed to invent this course, to learn all there is to know about kettlebells through systematic, scientific application. To give fit pros and therapists the confidence to train and rehab with kettlebells before subscribing to one specific system of usage.
Because Loading Matters.
If I asked you to squat 400 lbs. Could you? What if I asked you to strict military press it? It's the same weight, we have the same body, and yet our capacity is different, position to position, movement to movement, application to application. During this course, we study how to move more weight and faster. But that's the EASY part. Intelligent periodization of all pertinent variable and exercise selection will get you there over time. But what about moving better? If there is ONE THING that we study in this course that you won't find other places, it is this: How Load Makes Us Move.
Highly Evidence Informed
There have been hundreds of research articles published about the nuances of kettlebell usage. Themes and important messages will be pulled from the pertinent evidence and integrated with years of kettlebell experience from the instructors.
Built for Professionals
This course focuses half on the attendees, half on their clients. This course is meant to give you an understanding of how to take the information and apply it immediately in your own practices, but just as importantly how to coach these movements professionally.
More than kettlebells
Even if you walked away from this weekend without ever touching a kettlebell, you'll come away with specific applicable principles on how to assess and teach movement prerequisites, side step injuries, and progress, regress and lateralize with clients in all situations.
Why Kettlebells? Why Now?
Besides the fact that they're everywhere and everyone seems to be using them...
Who should take this course?
What exactly are we going to do?
- Learn kettlebell training from both ends of the spectrum: detrained and rehab oriented, all the way to fitness and performance oriented.
- Learn what the research says, what it doesn’t say, and where we can learn from other disciplines in our use of kettlebells.
- Understand what proper and poor technique look like and why it matters
- Learn when to use kettlebells, when not to, and what tools are right for what applications.
- Learn systematic progressions of the kettlebell movements from basic (eg; deadlift) to advanced (eg; bottoms up presses and carries)
- Understand the nuances of kettlebells as an implement and why/how you should use them with your clients.
- Learn the cues that are most likely to bring about the desired movement outcomes.
- Learn the clinical and performance implications of the common kettlebell movements (swings, for example) for all populations.
- How to regress kettlebell training for the detrained client.
- How to progress kettlebell training and close the gap between the clinic and the gym.
- Learn how to implement kettlebells with other human movement systems and assessments (such as the SFMA and DNS).
Am I going to become a "kettlebell guy/girl"?
Not at all. This course was built as a platform to introduce the basics and nuances of kettlebells, but more importantly to use them as a conduit to understand much of the most recent advances in human movement, therapy, rehab, and performance.
Kettlebell Science – Victoria 2019