The Athlete’s Hip – Calgary 2022
This two-day course will delve into evidence-based evaluation, conservative management, and return to sport of athletes presenting with hip pain.
Hip pathology is an often under-appreciated and misunderstood problem for clinicians and athletes alike. As intra-articular and extra-articular hip pain has become more prominent, surgical procedures have increased exponentially, but examination and conservative management have unfortunately lagged behind.
Through lecture and lab sessions, you will learn how to evaluate and treat athletes presenting with intra-articular and extra-articular pathology. This includes learning how to appropriately modify exercise prescription, determine load dosage, and manage the return to sport decision making process.
By simplifying the evaluation and management of these conditions, at the conclusion of this course, clinicians will be more confident in determining underlying pathology, appropriate management, need for surgical consult, and safe return to sport.
Image already added
Image already added
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the complexity of pain and its impact on hip pathology
- Understand the impact of femoroacetabular biomechanics on hip and concomitant LE pathology and injury risk
- Be able to accurately assess for red flags (avascular necrosis, femoral stress fracture, and inguinal hernia) and referral from proximal regions
- Be able to accurately and efficiently evaluate extra-articular and intra-articular hip pathology
- Be able to screen for and determine the need for surgical intervention
- Understand pathology dependent and region dependent manual therapy and exercise progression for hip pathology
- Progression of LE exercise and end-stage rehabilitation principles
- Be able to determine psychosocial, functional testing, and pathology specific factors to determine safe and efficient return to sport
09:00 – 09:45 Introduction & Pain Science
09:45 – 11:00 Screening of Pelvic/Hip Region (Lab/Lecture)
11:00 – 11:15 Break
11:15 – 12:15 Examination of Groin Pain (Lecture)
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30 – 14:30 Examination of Groin Pain (Lab)
14:30 – 15:15 Examination of Lateral & Posterior Hip Pain (Lecture)
15:15 – 15:30 Break
15:30 – 16:00 Examination of Lateral & Posterior Hip Pain (Lab)
16:00 – 17:00 Where does surgery fit in?
09:00 – 10:00 Epidemiology of Conservative and Surgical Interventions
10:00 – 10:45 Treatment of Intra-articular hip pathology (Lecture)
10:45 – 11:00 Break
11:00 – 12:00 Treatment of Extra-articular hip pathology (Lecture)
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
13:00 – 14:00 Manual Therapy Considerations (Lecture/Lab)
14:00 – 15:00 Exercise Prescription (Lecture/Lab)
15:00 – 16:00 Return to Sport Determination (Lecture/Lab)
A Match Made in Hip Heaven
The day before this course, we are also offering a course that pairs wonderfully with this one: Evaluation and Management of the Ice Hockey Athlete
When you add both courses to your cart, you'll receive a $140 DISCOUNT off your three-day delve into Hockey & Hip mastery!